Unfortunately my step dad has been in hospital for another two nights this week, so I have spent a lot of time visiting him and looking after my mum too. I would like to say things are looking better for him, but he is still not right.
So this week I haven’t spent too much time at home. However I have amazingly made a start on the new area in my kitchen garden.
I managed to use the stepping stones that were in our old lawn, to make a small path to separate the new little flower patch (that I created last week) from my new vegetable area:
I also moved our old chair onto our new lawn, so I can sit on it in the Spring:
Mr Thrift then helped me to finish laying the slabs around my greenhouse which wasn’t too bad to do, but then we needed to lay the slabs along the fence which wasn’t so easy.
The area along the fence had my raised bed in. I had tried growing my strawberries in this bed and the ’60 day raab’ as well and neither were succesful. I suspect the bushes along the fence were taking the moisture, so I decided this would be a good area to put my mini greenhouses.
First we pulled back the weed suppressant that had been covering the area. I don’t know if you remember, I put the weed suppressant down in June to kill the lawn underneath it and then I planted my sweetcorn and tomatoes through it whilst the lawn was dying:
If you need any proof that weed suppressant works then here it is:
We unfortunately then had to empty the raised bed!…
I also had a dustbin in the corner, which I had planted potatoes in back in the Spring. We also emptied this out …..but I had hoped for more potatoes than we actually got. However, we had them for dinner and they did taste amazing!…I do think the lack of potatoes was probably due to lack of water as I did keep forgetting to water them as they were tucked away in a corner out of site:
We then laid the slabs together and moved the mini greenhouses and our water butt onto them and I was very pleased with the result:
The next problem we had was to connect the water butt to the guttering that runs along our shed. Unfortunately the back of our greenhouse is overgrown with bushes that we can’t get to and we came to the conclusion that if we fitted another piece of guttering there it would become clogged up with leaves etc which would either block it or enter our water butt:
In the end we brought a a drain pipe and used it along the back of the greenhouse and hopefully this will work:
Unfortuantely now we had moved the mini greenhouses around the corner, I found we had a gap between the shed and my greenhouse which Judy our lovely dog could run down and bark at next doors dog. So after much thought I went out and brought a slim water butt and used this to block the area off and catch the water that drains off my greenhouse in the process.
I managed to get the water to drain into the water butt from my greenhouse roof by improvising. I used a bit of spare pipe and a bit of thick plastic and amazingly it works!
I then had a big clear up and moved all the rubbish and old bricks that had managed to appear in this area and then I started to clear some of the old plants ready for digging the area when I get time:
I also removed the Ivy that had become a nuisance on the fence….it was starting to grow between the boards and I felt it would cause damage to the fence. Some bits of the Ivy were quite thick and you can see in the first photograph below how the roots grow to ‘stick’ to their supports…Ivy really is an amazing plant:
I was very pleased with how the new area was starting to look, so I then took measurements so I could work out where to put my paths and how big my beds would be.
But unfortunately on Tuesday night we had gales across the midlands and our fence blew down!
The fence is a shared boundary fence and luckily our neighbour is an ex-builder and is going to fix it for us as we have brought and paid for items to do this.
So unfortunately my new lawn is going to take a bit of a battering while it’s being fixed and I won’t be able to start digging yet, but at least the fence will be fixed quickly.
I hope the wind didn’t damage anything where you are!
Thank you for reading my blog today. I will be back next Friday as usual.
Have a good week!