It’s been another wet week here and I have been dodging the showers. It has also been very mild for this time of the year too and at times I have been too warm in my coat which is strange for November.
My primroses are still flowering, obviously very confused by this years weather:
However, the trees on the park are shedding their leaves thick and fast now and soon the only trees left with leaves will be the evergreens……..
……..and this reminded that Christmas is on it’s way and I will soon need to make my Christmas cake and start to prepare my hampers.
Unfortunately my step dad has been poorly for the last month or so and he ended up in hospital twice this week. This has meant I haven’t had a lot of time to do the things at home that I normally would, as my sister and I have been visiting him and looking after my mum.
I have been very, very glad that I have had some meals prepared in the freezer as it has been an extremely tiring week. One day as well, I used my slow cooker to make a stew……it has been ages since we have had stew and it was gorgeous!
I used stewing steak that I had lurking in the bottom of my freezer. I am ashamed to say I brought it a year ago and it has remained there ever since:
A Stew Recipe:
I make stew the way my mum taught me…….I put in the cubed stewing steak, a couple of chopped onions, peeled potatoes cut into quarters and whatever vegetables I have available
(I don’t even bother to brown the meat):
I sprinkle with mixed herbs and then cover the whole lot with beef stock:
I then leave it in my slow cooker all day on low
(if you haven’t got a slow cooker you can cook it in your oven in a casserole dish for
2 ½ – 3 hours on gas 4 / 180C / 350F )
In my garden this week:
The curly kale is providing lots to harvest and so too is my perpetual spinach:
The leeks I planted in early summer are now ready for me to harvest when we need them….I can almost taste the leek and potato soup I will be making when I get a chance. They are not as big as I would normally like as I was late sowing them this year, but they are big enough to eat and that’s good enough for me:
My lettuces under the environmesh are still producing lovely salad leaves….
….And the lettuces I planted under a cloche are growing well now and hopefully I can soon start to use the odd outside leaf or two:
I am still picking a few raspberries each week, which has surprised me as this is the first year of growth since I transplanted them from my old allotment:
Incidentally the tomatoes that I brought inside last week are continuing to ripen on my windowsill…..I am amazed that I am still eating homegrown tomatoes in November:
And I also have plenty of stored potatoes left to use, which is something I didn’t think I would have after giving my allotments up in January this year. It has made me really appriciate what I do have growing in my back garden:
The one thing I managed to do in the garden this week was to start my new vegetable area. I don’t know if you remember, back in September I began to rearrange my garden so I could use all the available space to grow fruit and vegetables, but also to have a space for my little dog to use.
I began by removing the slabs (which really served no purpose) and after preparing the ground I laid a new lawn in their place:
I put chicken wire around the lawn to temporarily stop the dog from running on the lawn until it rooted into the ground below.
The grass has now rooted really well and this week Mr Thrift helped me to remove the chicken wire. He also helped me to bring forward the fence and gate so it is level with the end of the new grass.
Judy absolutely loved the new grass to run around on and ‘sniff’ and she didn’t stand still long enough for me to take a photograph, which is why the photo below is blurred!
We also started to lay a new path around the greenhouse, using the slabs I removed in September….unfortunately we only managed to lay three slabs and we ran out of time:
The next day I started to dig an area along the fence to create a small flower garden. At the beginning of the year I grew flowers in front of the fence and my dog destroyed some of them, so this time I decided to put the new flower bed behind the fence:
I removed the old worn out grass along the fence (which I will use later). As the area has been walked on for years I used my fork to aerate the soil, to ensure that the drainage is good. I then planted some daffodil bulbs that I brought at the beginning of September:
To be honest some of the bulbs didn’t look too brilliant, but I planted them anyway as I have nothing to lose. It’s also a bit late for daffodil bulbs, but I have planted them in November before and they grew well.:
I then added some compost to the soil and planted the wallflowers I grew from seed. Hopefully my new area will give a good display in the spring:
I still need to do alot of work in this area, but first the slabbing must be completed around the greenhouse and unfortunately I need Mr Thrifts help for this, as I can’t lift the slabs on my own.
So that’s it for this week. I will be back next Friday as usual.
Have a great week!