Before I start I thought I would show you a couple of photos that I took yesterday out of the car window, whilst my husband was driving. I think the display of daffodils that Leicester City Council planted a few years ago, really look beautiful this year. I think the daffodils are the variety called ‘Tete-a-Tete’ and they look stunning planted all along the central reservation.
Yesterday morning I did my usual weekend ‘batch baking’. I love baking all in one go, as it saves me time during the week and energy as I cook things together.
This weekend I made fruit scones and weetabix chocolate brownies for lunch boxes and a chocolate cake for tea. I butter the scones before freezing them as it makes it easier in the mornings, as I just take a couple of scones out and pop them a lunch box.
I also made a large pot of vegetable soup to take to the allotment with me in my flask. I love having homemade soup with a homemade roll, sitting in the sunshine at my allotment watching all the birds and insects buzzing around….and it’s full of vitamins and cheap too.
My homemade soup has whatever I fancy from the freezer when I make it. Yesterday’s soup has my homegrown swede, turnip, courgettes, runnerbeans, broadbeans, pumpkin and leeks in it.
I just fried the leek in a tablespoon of olive oil until it was soft and threw everything else in and just covered it all with vegetable stock and left it to simmer for thirty minutes.
I then used my hand blender to ‘blitz’ it until it was smooth and divided it into portions which I froze when it had cooled down.
It really is an easy meal to make.
At my allotment this weekend I noticed lots of ladybirds appearing. In this particular clump of overgrown grass there were loads of them together, though the photograph actually only shows three.
I have ‘fixed beds’ at my allotment, which just means I have paths either side of my beds so I don’t need to walk on them. This makes it far easier for me to manage the soil, as I can just lightly ‘fork’ over my beds if I need to.
I chose not to have raised beds as I couldn’t afford the wood for raised beds (as I have four plots) and I would also need to buy in the top soil to fill them.
My top soil is nice and deep and I don’t think raised beds would be an advantage for me. The only exception is my one raised bed that I use to grow my carrots in, as I can not grow carrots in my very heavy soil. This one and only raised bed is made up each year of my homemade compost, leafmould and a bag of sand and this is the only way I have managed to grow carrots.
So this week I have been busy finishing the weed suppressant paths that I talked about here and I have been ‘forking’ over this area ready for my legumes.
I think this area looks much better without the bricks holding the weed suppressant down and it will be lovely not to have the weed suppressant ‘fraying’ all over the place as it gets caught up in my fork, which is very annoying as it makes the job harder to do.
There was one area that I had been treading on all winter, as I had put the prunings that I took from my plum tree late last summer there. This wasn’t a wise move as it was really hard work forking the soil over, as it had all compacted and the water was slow to drain from this area.
I thought I would show you the difference between the soil that I had trod on lots over the winter and the soil that I hadn’t trod on. Both photos were taken when I had turned the soil over with my fork. You can see the soil structure where I hadn’t walked, in the right hand photo. This was far better than the soil on the left hand photo, where I had walked. So this is really enough proof to me that my ‘fixed’ beds do actually work.
This weekend I had been transplanting some of my plants at the allotment. I have divided my chysanthemums and planted them through my weed suppressant next to the boxes that I made last week to edge my plot:
I have also been transplanting some of them to the outside of my woodland area, together with foxgloves that have self seeded around my plot. Hopefully they will look lovely when they flower.
And finally, I transplanted some Michaelmas daisys that had outgrown their spot, to the back of my plot around the Hazel trees which I coppiced this winter…
…I do already have Lavatera and Buddlia growing at the back of the Hazel, so hopefully with the Michaelmas daisys, this area won’t look so bare whilist the Hazel is growing back.
One last thing, I picked the last of my celeriac this weekend. I don’t usually leave it in the ground overwinter, but I somehow over looked it….but I have got away with it as it has been so mild. The celeraic does have one or two slug holes in, but I am really pleased with it overall.
So my next job is to freeze it this week.
I hope you have enjoyed reading my blog today.
I will be back on Friday at my usual time.