After a weekend of wind and more rain, I visited my allotment yesterday, wondering what I would find.
The wind had blown my empty compost bin quite a distance:
It had also blown my arch over and broken it, though it was on its last legs anyway, after I had grown the heavy shark fin melon over it.
There is an old ‘dike’ that runs through our allotment site. It has been dry for years until we had the summer of heavy rain and floods approximately five years ago, but it dried up again really quickly. After all the rain we have had, the dike has been flowing again and unfortunately it runs across the middle of my four plots.
As long as it dries up in the next day or two then it should be ok.
Yesterday, I worked in my polytunnel as it was looking a little bit uncared for.
As it has been so wet outside recently, I haven’t been able to open it to allow the moisture to escape. Unfortunately this has led to some of my summer lettuces suffering from Grey Mould (Botrytis cinerea), due to the moist conditions inside the polytunnel:
I removed the lettuces that were affected, but most of the summer lettuces were still looking good, which is amazing as it’s nearly December:
After this, I noticed my cape gooseberries were affected with grey mould too, so I removed these. I filled a small bag with the cape gooseberries that weren’t affected, so I am looking forward to a Cape gooseberry crumble tonight
I also removed the four old sweetcorn plants I had in my polytunnel and I managed to get four beautiful corn on the cobs from them.
I pulled up the dying pepper plants and planted some more winter lettuce that I had grown.
I had a general weed around the remaining plants and a tidy up. It looked much better afterwards.
So, left in my polytunnel are the remaining summer lettuces shown above and my winter lettuces (below), which seem to be doing well:
And winter hardy spring onions:
So things are going well in my polytunnel:
Thank you for reading my blog today.