For the last few days I have been working on the top half of my 4th allotment plot. This is what it looked like in January when I took the plot on:
The tree in the middle is a plum tree.
The previous plot holder, Eric, had tried to grow vegetables under the tree, but he told me that nothing grew properly as it was just too dry and shady under there.
After I had strimmed the couch grass and weeds in January, I covered it all with weed suppresant.
Last year, my dad had given up his allotment, as it was just too much for him. He asked if he could have a little bit of my plot to work. I thought this was a wonderful idea, as I can’t think of anything better than having my dad growing his vegetables with me, as I think the world of my dad.
So in April, I dug a patch at the front of the plot, removing all the weeds and added loads of compost.
Dad has grown leeks, runner beans, onions, lettuces and squash this year.
I have been worrying about the weed suppressant around dad’s patch, as I have bricks and old pieces of wood holding it down and I have worried that dad would trip over them.
So this week, I have used old pieces of wood, to make the edge for two paths and I have laid weed suppressant in between them. Next week I will be visiting our local council to buy some wood chips to put over the weed suppressant.
The bricks etc are just there to stop the weed suppressant from blowing away in the wind. They will be removed when I put the wood chips down.
In the photo below, you can see I have also put wood around the edges of the tree. I have decided that this area is going to be a woodland area and I will continue to work on it over the next few weeks.
I removed the weed suppressant from around the tree this week and you can see that all the couch grass and weeds have been killed.
I have some bulbs to plant and I will be on the lookout for some cheap woodland plants or plants that I can take cuttings from, to fill this area.
For a while now I’ve been making laundry liquid to wash my clothes. Today I made some more, as I had run out.
It washes well and is so much cheaper than shop bought wash powders and liquids.
I really don’t know where I got the recipe from, it was somewhere on the net, so I can’t take any credit for it.
This is how I make it:
1 cup of soap flakes
½ cup Soda Crystals (also known as washing soda)
½ Cup Borax (in the UK it is a substitute of borax which works well)
1 ½ litres of water
Put the above ingredients into a saucepan and heat, stirring until the soap flakes have dissolved
Pour the mixture into a very large bucket and then add 8 litres of cold water.
Stir and then pour into containers, leaving space at the top so you can easily shake the container before you use it.
You only need approximately a quarter of a cup of washing liquid for each wash.
I use old plastic milk containers to store my liquid in. The recipe makes just over 10 litres of liquid.
The above amount will last quite some time and washes well.
You won’t see lots of bubbles when it washes, but this doesn’t matter. Wash powders that you buy actually have bubbles added, not because thay are needed, but because people think their clothes aren’t washing properly if they don’t see bubbles.
Thank you for reading my blog today.