Today at the allotment I weeded around my brussels sprouts and my spring broccoli. I removed any yellowing leaves and then tied them to the supports that I had put in to the ground. This will help to stop them from rocking around in the wind over the winter.
I also examined my ‘Cape Gooseberry’ plant that was growing outside. You can see in the picture below that it is only small and I doubt I’ll get any fruit off it, before the first frosts come.
In my polytunnel I have two ‘Cape Gooseberry’ plants that I also put in the ground at the same time. In the photograph below you can really see the difference the extra protection of the polytunnel gives. They both have loads of fruit on them.
After this I cleared away the cornflowers that self-seeded around my pond. They gave a wonderful display earlier in the year, but now it was time to tidy them away.
I had almost forgotten that I had grown some ‘Aubretia’ plants around the pond. I think they will look pretty in the spring.
Today also I pulled back the ‘environmesh’ that covered my cauliflower plants and was pleasantly surprised to find the cauliflowers, which were ready to be picked. You can see the cauliflowers I picked in the picture below. I weeded and cleared the area where the cauliflowers were too.
When I got home I chopped the cauliflowers up and washed them in salt water. I then blanched them for 2 minutes and put them on trays (as this stops them from sticking together) and froze them. Tomorrow I will bag them up.
Following on from my post last Friday regarding child poverty, (which you can read here), I have another cheap and easy recipe.
At the moment there are loads of blackberries around. So I thought I’d use some to make a homemade Blackberry Cordial.
Because the blackberries were from my allotment, I worked out that this cordial only cost me 16p to make and it has no chemicals or preservatives in at all and tastes really nice.
2 cups of cold water
2 cups of granulated sugar
300g blackberries (fresh or frozen)
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
Make the sugar syrup by putting the water and sugar in a saucepan and heat on a low flame, stirring all the time until the sugar has dissolved and you can see no sugar crystals on the back of your spoon.
Add the blackberries and lemon juice and then turn the heat up and bring the mixture to a boil.
Simmer for 5 minutes.
Put the whole lot through a sieve and then cool the juice.
Dilute the cordial to your taste.
This cordial lasts approximately 3 days in the fridge.
My daughters friends came for tea tonight, so I served the cordial with lots of ice and different fruit in a bowl and it looked very special for them. I left them a ladle so they could help themselves. Most of the fruit was homegrown.
Thank you for reading my blog today.